Join David and Karen Mains during the second week of Advent 2006 for a Musical Advent Tour to Vienna. Much of Central Europe gathers in this beautiful city to enjoy the Christmas festivities. This Journey for Hungry Souls will emphasize the religious sweetness of the season, but we will also enjoy traditional festivities; a Christkindlmarkte on almost every corner; a cup of hot mulled cider as we eat freshly-made crepes cooked on outside fires. We’ll expose ourselves to a European Christmas while looking at the lives of world-renowned classical musicians (Mozart, Strauss, Beethoven, Hayden, etc.), listen to the Vienna Boys Choir, attend Strauss concerts, sing carols, and take walking tours that visit sites from Mozart’s life. The museums, coffee houses, restaurants, churches and cathedrals of Vienna await us. In addition, we’ll take a day trip to the Vienna woods.
We will be housed for seven nights at the beautiful 5-star Hotel de France which is located on the famous Ringestrasse within walking and easy-transportation distance of many of the historical
Then we’ll dip some into the fascinating history of Vienna in more modern times. For instance, do you know what Stalin, Trotsky, Hitler, Tito, Freud, the Emperor Franz Joseph and the Archduke Franz Ferdinand have in common?
They were all living within a square mile of each other in Vienna in the year 1913. Vienna, as the capitol of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, often energized disparate viewpoints that fed the systems which have determined much of the history of modern times. Look at this year, 1913, where key figures of the twentieth century met and collided: Stalin, on a Bolshevik Revolution errand; Trotsky publishing the first edition of Pravda, feuding with Lenin in nearby Hapsburg; Hitler, a failed artist, spouting tirades; Tito, a car mechanic; Freud, completing an essay he would use in his professional competition with Jung—all twenty months away from the bullet that killed the Archduke that would set off WWI with its casualty rate of 10,000,000 people.
Viennese history is still fascinating. Just as it was a laboratory for political, socio-economic, and psychological ideologies, it was also as vibrant, vital, and influential in its contribution and development to the arts and music.
David and I spent Advent 2004 (warmly bundled) in the Christmas lights of Vienna. It was a great way to do our Christmas shopping!
- Morning and Evening Prayers
- Advent Meditations
- Guided Time of Silence
- Group Listening Discipline
- Singing Our Faith
The Vienna Trip Land Fees are $2,257. A deposit of half the fee ($1128.50) reserves your place. The balance must be paid by August 15, 2006. If you pay by check, we can provide a discount of $33 per deposit and/or balance. The air fare (using our booking agent) will be around $700-$750 from Chicago and various airports in the country with some price variables, depending upon the location. This payment is also due by August 15, 2006. We can accept credit card charges. We cannot refund deposits after September 15, 2006.
You can register for the December 2006 Pilgrimage to Vienna, Austria on-line. Click on any MAKE A RESERVATION button. Or, trip inquiries can be emailed to Karen Mains Karen@hungry-souls.com (Phone 1-800-828-9625 ext. 209) or Valerie Bell email@example.com. You can pay your half-land fee by charge card or with a check made out to Hungry Souls and mailed to Box 30, Wheaton, IL 60189.
- Arrive in Vienna
- Morning city orientation by bus followed by lunch at Restaurant Purstner in heart of city center
- Check in at Hotel de France
- Afternoon at leisure
- Visit City Hall (Rathouse), eat way through Christkindlmarkt bazaars
- Museum of Fine Art (Kunsthistorisches Museum)
- Lunch on own
- Mozart walking tour
- Concert at Orangerie of Schöenbrunn Palace or at Kursalon
- Visit Nachtmarkt — outdoor fruit, meat, flea market
- Walking tour of Old Town with visit to Christmas markets
- Evening with Hungry Souls group (Christmas carols, etc.)
- Morning Mass at Burgkapelle in Hofburg Palace with Vienna Boys Choir
- Lunch at Grienchenbeisl
- Afternoon with Hungry Souls, then leisure
- Churches of Vienna
- Lunch in coffeehouse (Café Central, etc.) on own
- Late afternoon tour to Schöenbrunn Palace with apple strudel demonstration
- Full day excursion to Vienna Woods, lunch included
- Evening plans with Hungry Souls
- Day to roam, read, explore on own
- Farewell dinner at Restaurant Kupferdachl
- Transfer from hotel to airport